2014 trends revolve around keeping things clean, simple and practical. There is also a modern, chic feel to the latest in colors and design. These creative ideas may not be for everyone, but they certainly add an innovative look to any bathroom.
It may sound crazy, but if you’re looking for a bold contrast to typical neutral bathroom décor, black faucets, tubs, lighting and tile are the newest “in” trend. Adding this deep, dramatic hue keeps plain white spaces from looking too sterile and common. Black creates a modern, industrial look and will make a dramatic impact that no one will expect.
2014 shower trends continue with the modern seamless look. Flooring that runs right into the shower, rather than having to stop it at the shower curb, offers a clean, beautiful spa like design approach. A curb less shower is stylish and chic in a way you might not expect. It creates a decorative look while being completely functional.
A floating vanity is a beautiful and unique way to create the feeling of more space. This modern unique look can even showcase beautiful tile or flooring For smaller spaces, there’s still the option to incorporate quite a bit of storage into floating vanities. Look for the paneled doors that you would see on a traditional vanity, just without added legs.
A well-planned home addition will boost your home’s value by adding some much needed space.
We offer a few simple tips to consider as you get started.
Create A Wish List
A great place to start is by asking yourself important questions and creating a wish list. What do you want your project to solve? Do you need more space? Are you looking to improve curb appeal? Make a priority list of the improvements and goals you want to achieve so that your home remodeling contractor can help you plan accordingly.
Find out all the legalities in what can and can’t be built on the property. Every city is different, and has their own laws in regards to height restrictions, historic or district ordinances or how close a structure can be built to property lines. These will be important factors in making plans for a new addition.
Adding extra space doesn’t mean you need a large addition. Make sure you expand efficiently. Your remodeling contractor can help you determine how to use space from extra closets or hallways so that your addition can be modest. Just a little extra room can really make a big difference to any space.
Make sure you are just as concerned about how your addition will look on the outside as the inside. Architecture, design, and placement are critical when it comes to the curb appeal of your new addition. The value of your home will also be considered by how it looks like from the outside.
Don’t forget that you can have fun with the backsplash in your kitchen. Instead of the typical ubiquitous white subway tiles go with a fun new trend and try something brighter, edgier, or even funkier, and add a pop of color in your neutral kitchen. A great idea is to consider colorful glass mosaic tiles that can be done by you or by a professional.
Tiles come in a wide range of colors. Choose from mini mosaic tiles in bright hues like cherry red, royal blue, or mixed design. Miniature glass mosaics are a bold alternative to the subway tiles so popular in the 00′s. Their translucent finish also offers a lighter, more modern feel than opaque ceramic or natural stone tiles. This will create a beautiful and unique backsplash in any size kitchen.
Miniature glass tiles come in eye-catching colors and often have a repetitive pattern. This may make them best for a more clean and streamlined space. To avoid mismatching designs consider your cabinetry as well as your appliances. Tiles work great with high gloss lacquered cabinets and stainless steel or black finished appliances.
A backsplash with glass tiles will create a fun and fresh look in your space and should last for a number of years. It can be the one area in your kitchen where you can have some fun.
Can’t decide what colors to choose when painting your bedroom or decorating your home? Color forecasters are sharing their take on what colors will be big in this New Year. Nature and the seashore are always big inspirations and 2014 is no different. From the neutral colors of the sand to mint green and light blues of the ocean, and the pinks and reds in a sunset sky, your choices in nature and serenity are endless.
• Corals and teals are great colors to consider using when accenting one wall. This can be done in almost any room in your home.
• Large open spaces can be a great place to paint, using yellow, or a jewel or mint green. These colors give a feeling of renewed energy, vibrancy, and optimism.
• Sand colors like creams and light yellows create a soft sense of tranquility and are ideal for bedrooms and bathrooms.
• Light blues, pinks, and lilacs are becoming the new neutral and can be used in almost any room in the house. It offers a clean fresh background that will allow other colors in a room to stand out.
2014 colors reflect a desire to get back in touch with nature. These colors are a great way to even offset a modern style home. Get influenced by seashores and landscapes, and recharge your batteries in a relaxing and stylish space.
If you have a small office or bedroom in your home, you know how difficult it can be to decorate. Small-space decorating can be a challenge, but with some advice and a few simple tips, you can make the most of a small room in your home.
• Scale – The key to successfully decorating a small space is to scale the size of objects in relation to each other. Avoid extremely large furniture items that can take up space, but don’t think everything has to be small. Include a mix of different scale items for the perfect look.
• Windows – Windows are a great tool when it comes to visually enlarging a small room. A great idea is to leave your windows bare, or match the color of your window treatments to your walls to eliminate the look of a tight space.
• Double Duty – Many homeowners need to use their small space for double duty. A good example is using a daybed as a couch and then converting it as a place for guests to sleep at night. You can also purchase things like tables with drawers if you need storage space.
• White – Light colors open up a space. To create the illusion of more room, consider using all white. This can include walls, furniture and any other décor that you plan on putting in your space.
• Mirrors – Mirrors are one of the best items you can hang on your wall to create the illusion of depth in a small room. It doesn’t matter the size. Small mirrors will reflect light and views just as well as large mirrors, giving you the sense that you have a bigger space.